Thinking of updating your inFlow On-Premise to the latest version? Great, there are some things you should know before starting the process.
First, it’s highly recommended to create a couple of backup files of your current database. Instructions can be found here.
Next, please be aware that your databases can be restored to newer versions of inFlow but they can’t be restored to older versions of inFlow. (for example, you can restore a v3.5.2 database to v3.6.1, but you cannot restore a v3.6.1 database to a v3.5.2 version)
There are two ways you can update to a newer version of inFlow On-Premise:
- Run the installer overtop of an existing downloaded inFlow on-premise (this will start the update)
- Create a backup file, uninstall your current version of inFlow re-install using the newest version of inFlow On-Premise
Of the two options, number 1 will most likely be quicker and requires less setup (it’ll use pre-existing settings).
Updating inFlow On-Premise from any v3 version to v3.6.1
Downloading the update to inFlow 3.6.1
- Go to manage.inflowinventory.com and log into your account.
- On the right-hand side of the page look for the Download section. Click on Online Installer to start the download
- Follow installation steps.
If you’d like to choose your settings, please select the Server and Client option during the installation.
If you decided to use option 2 you’ll have a few additional steps to follow:
- If you haven’t already logged in, go to Main Menu>Options>About inFlow>Login. (this will apply your licenses to your account)
- Restore your data, Main Menu>General>Restore Data (only needed when installing a fresh copy)
If you have multiple computers connected to inFlow, you will need to update them so they can connect to the updated server PC. Please follow these instructions How do I set up multi-user mode for multiple computers to connect together?
Updating inFlow On-Premise from v2 version to v3.6.1
Note: Current v2 customers need an active support plan to update to v3.6.1. For information please take a look at our support plan article.
It is highly recommended to create backups before updating inFlow
When updating inFlow On-Premise it needs to convert the database to the new version, but prior to v2.5.1 the program the data conversion gap is too big for the program to just update to the newest version and crashes. Instead, it’s needed to get the version to a minimum of v2.5.1 before the jump to v3.6.1 can be made.
Updating versions prior to v2.5.1 (server computer)
- Download inFlow v2.5.1 from here.
- Run the installation file and the update should begin.
- Next, create a inFlow v2.5.1 backup file. Go to Main Menu>General>Backup data. Save this file on your PC. Please repeat to ensure you have an adequate amount of backup files.
- Follow the instructions above to “download the update to v3.6.1” (please note it may take longer to restore/update because extra time is needed to convert you version 2 information)
Note: Customers using VPN and/or have remote SQL servers, we don’t support the use of these applications, but would like to offer a few helpful warnings.
- Please make lots of backups (especially for customized databases)
- You may have to re-do your 3rd party setup / settings (for your VPN, and possibly for customized databases if certain tables change)
How about New Features?
As of v3.6.1 of inFlow On-Premise we’ll be focusing our development efforts on inFlow Cloud, so there won’t be any new features added to inFlow On-Premise. However, we’re continuing support for inFlow On-Premise and the support team is still here to help!